Prey is a techno novel first published in November 2002. Like Jurassic Park, the novel serves as a cautionary tale about developments in science and technology; in this case, nanotechnology.
The book features relatively new advances in the computing/scientific community, such as artificial life, emergence (and by extension, complexity), genetic algorithms, and agent-based computing.
- Jack Forman – A programmer who is an expert in the field of agent-based artificial intelligence software. He also has a background in biology.
- Julia Forman – Jack's wife, and vice president of Xymos.
- Ricky Morse – The team leader at Xymos.
- Mae Chang - A field biologist at Xymos.
- Charley Davenport - A worker at Xymos who specializes in genetic algorithms.
- David Brooks - An engineer on the team.
- Rosie Castro - A specialist in natural language processing.
- Bobby Lembeck - A programming supervisor.
- Vince Reynolds - the maintenance operator of the Xymos lab.
- Amanda Forman - Jack and Julia's baby daughter.
- Nicole Forman - Jack and Julia's preteen daughter.
- Eric Forman - Jack and Julia's son.
- Ellen - Jack's sister from out of town. She takes care of his kids while he is in Nevada and believes Julia is on stimulants.
- Don Gross - Jack's former boss, who fired Jack.
- Gary - Jack's lawyer.
- Maria - Jack and Julia's cleaning lady.
- Annie - Jack's headhunter.
- Carol - Julia's assistant.
- Mary - Ricky's wife.
- Tim Berman - The man that took over Jack's job.